The School Board’s adopted FY 2019-28 Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) includes two projects at the Career Center site:
- Arlington Tech Expansion for 250 high school seats to be completed by start of school Sept. 2021 bringing the total capacity of Arlington Tech to 600 seats.
- Career Center Expansion Project to be completed in two stages: athletic field and parking garage by start of school 2023 and 800-seat addition with performing arts facility by start of school Sept. 2025
The PFRC process will begin in Sept. 2019 and is expected to end in Aug. 2020.
Project specific PFRC members for Career Center are:
- Andrew Moore- Columbia Pike Revitalization Organization
- Kristi Sawert- Arlington Heights Civic Association
- Polly Hall- Ashton Heights Civic Association
- Takis Karantonis- Columbia Heights Civic Association
- Pete Durgan- Penrose Neighborhood Association
Time: 7:00 p.m. (unless otherwise noted)
|Jan. 15||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
|Jan. 22||Community Meeting|
|Feb. 19||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
|Feb. 26||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
|Sept 17||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
|Oct 2||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
|Oct 15||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
|Oct 29||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
|Nov 20||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
|Dec 3||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
|Dec 18||Joint PFRC/BLPC||Agenda||Presentation|
- Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth & Families Letter to School Board & County Board, May 29, 2018
- Arlington County Sports Commission Letter to County Board, December 17, 2019
- Arlington County Aquatics Committee Letter to School Board & County Board, December 20, 2019
- Arlington Public Schools (APS) Project Page
- Career Center Working Group
- Career Center Working Group Final Report
- Career Center Background
The Career Center, an existing Arlington Public School (APS) property located near Columbia Pike, will be expanded by 700-800+ seats by 2022. The School Board approved planning for the expansion and a long-range site plan is currently being developed for consideration. The County Board and School Board created a joint working group that will evaluate the Career Center site and recommend how to develop in phases to accommodate additional high school capacity, associated facilities, and community amenities.
- Nov. 2017: Career Center Working Group (CCWG) charge adopted and members appointed.
- Dec. 2017: CCWG commences work.
- Mid-2018: CCWG shall submit a progress report and/or meet with School Board and County Board in a work session.
- Aug. 2018: CCWG will submit a final report to the School and County Boards. At the latest, the CCWG must conclude its work by the end of August 2018 to inform the next phase of planning.
- Sept. 2018: The Building Level Planning Committee (BLPC) and Public Facilities Review Committee (PFRC) begin planning processes to design the 800+ additional seats.
- 2022: Building to open