Latest News and Updates
Informational Briefing on Bus Parking and Operations
Commissioners took part in an informational session on ART and school bus parking and operations on July 27. Staff are preparing an FAQ sheet based on common questions related to bus operations, and will post it here when it is complete.
The Arlington County Board voted to notify Virginia Hospital Center that the County intends to acquire the hospital’s property at 601 S. Carlin Springs Road as part of the purchase price for the County-owned Edison Center on George Mason Drive.
The Commission subcommittees have completed Phase 2 of the Use
Determination Process, and we are pleased to provide this status report.
- JFAC – Phase 2 – Status Report – DRAFT
- View video of June 27 Joint Work Session with School Board and County Board.
Buck, Carlin Springs Scenario Feedback
We have received a tremendous amount of feedback on the scenario proposals JFAC is exploring for recommended County/APS uses of the Buck property (off Quincy St. N near Washington-Lee High School) and the 601 S. Carlin Springs Rd. property. The commission is using this input in its process to refine and narrow down the scenarios for the next phase, which includes a more detailed analysis of select scenarios.
The Joint Facilities Advisory Commission (JFAC) is an advisory body jointly appointed by the County Board and the School Board. This was a recommendation within the 2015 Community Facilities Study. The mission of the JFAC is to provide input to the Boards on capital facilities needs assessment, capital improvement plans and long range facility planning for both the Arlington County Government and Arlington Public Schools.
The JFAC organizational structure currently includes two subcommittees — the Buck Subcommittee and the Carlin Springs Subcommittee. All committee and subcommittee agendas, meeting documents and minutes are posted in the table below as they become available.
- Community Facilities Study
- Arlington Facilities Student Accommodation Plan (AFSAP)
- Adopted FY 2017 – FY 2026 County Capital Improvement Plan
- School Board Adopted FY 2017 – FY 2026 Capital Improvement Plan (APS CIP)
- Adopted County FY 2017 Budget
- School Board’s Adopted Budget 2017
- County Demographic Profile 2016
- Arlington County’s Comprehensive Plan
- October 1, 2016 Joint Work Session
- JFAC – Public Comment and Feedback
- Roundtable Wrap-Up: Full Report | Key Themes | Messages
Behind the Scenes: Trades Center
It takes a lot to keep a world-class community running. Join JFAC member Rodney Turner for a behind the scenes tour of the Trades Center, home to many of the County’s essential operations and support functions.
A Feb. 11 bus tour helped JFAC members and interested residents familiarize themselves with several sites around the County and provided an up-close-and-personal look at some of the County’s essential operations and support needs. Read more here.