The Historical Affairs and Landmark Review Board (HALRB) advises the County Board on historic preservation matters. The HALRB nominates properties for local and national designation and also reviews plans for exterior alterations, demolition, and new construction in locally designated Arlington historic districts through a Certificate of Appropriateness (CoA) process.
Certificate of Appropriateness Process
Applicants who have submitted a Certificate of Appropriateness (CoA) application must go before the Design Review Committee (DRC) – a subcommittee that works with the HALRB. The DRC offers free technical and design advice to the applicant and helps finalize the CoA request before it goes to the HALRB for review. This flowchart shows how an application for a CoA progresses.
|Date||Agenda & Minutes||Documents & Meeting Materials|
|Jan. 27 at 5pm||
|Feb. 17 at 5pm|
How to View and Participate in a Virtual HALRB Meeting
Virtual HALRB meetings will be held through electronic communication means in compliance with the Code of Virginia and Arlington County’s Continuity of Operations Ordinance. All meetings are open to virtual attendance by the public and closed to in-person attendance.
- Group members, staff, and public testimony will be hosted by teleconference/videoconference via Microsoft Teams.
- Meeting access information will be provided on the Board’s webpage at arlingtonva.us. (link will be posted in chart above prior to the meeting start)
- Closed captioning is available for this meeting by viewing it through the Microsoft Teams free app.
- Audio is available from the dial-in phone option.
- A recording of the meeting will be posted to the Board’s webpage two business days after the meeting.
- To request translation services or other reasonable accommodations, contact Serena Bolliger: 703-228-3818, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The public can participate by sharing live verbal testimony or written comments in advance.
- Sign-up online to speak by 12 noon on the day of the meeting.
- In-person registration will not be available.
- Registered speakers will receive an email with further instruction.
- Speakers will join the meeting via Microsoft Teams (accessible through a web browser or the free app), or, via a phone line to provide their comments.
- To register by phone, contact Serena Bolliger at 703-228-3818.
- Submit written comments online to the Historical Affairs and Landmark Review Board. Comments received by 12 noon on the day of the meeting will be provided to the Board in advance.
Listen to archived audio of public meetings.