Si usted está en desacuerdo con cualquier decisión del administrador de zonificación o de cualquier orden, requerimiento, decisión o determinación sobre la Ordenanza de Zonificación, por favor póngase en contacto con nosotros para conocer más acerca de la presentación de una solicitud ante la Junta de Apelaciones de Zonificación.
An appeal may be taken to the BZA by anyone aggrieved or by any officer, department, board or bureau of the locality affected by any decision of the Zoning Administrator or from any order, requirement, decision or determination made by any other administrative officer in the administration or enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance.
The appeals process usually takes at least 56 days, depending on when it is filed and must be submitted in accordance with the public hearing dates in the BZA’s meeting schedule. Prior to the public hearing staff will forward a staff report to the BZA. The appellant or other interested parties may download a copy of the report from this website or pick up a copy in the Zoning Office.
How to Submit an Appeal
Note: In-person applications are currently suspended due to the COVID-19 health crisis and Permit Office closure.
File an application with the BZA coordinator within 30 days from the date that decision, order, requirement or determination in question was made. Applications submitted after that 30-day period will not be accepted.
- You must complete an Application for Appeal
- Include any supporting documents
- To apply online:
- Submit application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include one permit application per email.
- If applicable, include plans and supporting documents for each application. The maximum attachment(s) size is 25MB.
- If multiple emails are required due to file size limitations, please use the same Subject line and indicate there are multiple emails (i.e., 1 of 3)
- To apply on paper:
- Submit application in person at the Arlington County Permit Office.
- View Fee Schedules and Payment Methods.
- This permit, and ongoing certifications, can be paid for online. Access the online payment portal.
Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.
BZA Action on Appeals
Although the BZA may defer its decision, it usually makes a decision immediately following the public hearing on the case. The BZA may affirm or reverse the order, determination, decision, or requirement, and the concurring vote of 3 members of the BZA is required for such affirmation or reversal.
Appeal of a BZA’s Decision
Title 15.2-2314 of the Code of Virginia provides that any person aggrieved by any decision of the BZA may file an appeal with the Arlington County Circuit Court within 30 days of the final decision of the BZA.