The Arlington County Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) has powers, duties and procedures as set forth in broad terms in the Code of Virginia and in the Arlington County Zoning Ordinance, including:
- Hearing and deciding upon applications for Use Permits for modifications to the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance regulating the placement of buildings and structures on single-family residential lots
- Hearing and deciding upon applications for Variances for relief from the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance regulating placement, bulk, height, and coverage of buildings and structures
- Hearing and deciding on applications to allow construction on lots which do not conform to the minimum required dimensional standards of the Zoning Ordinance
- Hearing and deciding appeals of administrative decisions of the Zoning Administrator made pursuant to the Zoning Ordinance
Information about applications, submission requirements, and review processes are available:
It is recommended to request a pre-application meeting with the BZA Coordinator ahead of submitting your application to discuss the review process and specifics to your case.
Public Hearings and Filing Dates
The BZA holds monthly public hearings to perform its appointed duties and conduct any other business as necessary. Any matter before the BZA for decision must have been duly advertised in accordance with the Code of Virginia.
Applications submitted after the Final Filing Date will be processed for the next indicated hearing.
|Month of Hearing||Pre-application Meeting||Final Filing Date||Hearing Date & Agenda|
|January 2020||No cases heard|
|February 2020||December 04, 2019||December 11, 2019||February 19, 2020|
|March 2020||January 8, 2020||January 15, 2020||
|April 2020||February 12, 2020||February 19, 2020||
|May 2020||March 11, 2020||March 18, 2020||
|June 2020||April 15, 2020||April 22, 2020||
|July 2020||May 13, 2020||May 20, 2020||Tentative: July 15, 2020|
|September 2020||July 8, 2020||July 15, 2020||Tentative: September 16|
|*September 2020 (Carryover)||July 8, 2020||July 15, 2020||Tentative: September 17|
|October 2020||August 12, 2020||August 19, 2020||Tentative: October 14, 2020|
|November 2020||September 16, 2020||September 23, 2020||Tentative: November 18, 2020|
|December 2020||October 14, 2020||October 21, 2020||Tentative: December 16, 2020|
|January 2021||November 4, 2020||November 11, 2020||Tentative: January 13, 2021|
|February 2021||December 09, 2020||December 16, 2020||Tentative: February 10, 2021|
|March 2021||January 6, 2021||January 13, 2021||Tentative: March 10, 2021|
*Carryover dates are only utilized on as as needed basis as decided by the BZA
At this time, all BZA public hearings are held through electronic communication means in compliance with the Code of Virginia and Arlington County’s Continuity of Operations Ordinance. Meetings are open to virtual attendance by the public and closed to in-person attendance.
- Board members, staff, applicants, and public testimony will be hosted by teleconference/ videoconference via Microsoft Teams. Participants will receive an email with further instruction.
- The public may view a live broadcast of this meeting with closed captioning on Comcast Xfinity channels 25 and 1085; Verizon FiOS channels 39 and 40.
- The meeting can be viewed online with closed captioning at arlingtonva.us or on YouTube.
- A recording of the meeting will be posted to the County website within two business days after the meeting.
The public can participate by sharing live verbal testimony or written comments in advance:
- Sign-up online to speak during the public hearing by 12:00 p.m. on the day of the hearing.
- In-person registration will not be available.
- Registered speakers will receive an email with further instruction.
- Speakers will join the meeting via Microsoft Teams (accessible through a web browser or the free app), or, via a phone line to provide their comments.
- To register by phone, contact the Board of Zoning Appeals Coordinator at 703-228-3562 by 12:00 p.m. the day of the hearing.
- Submit written comments online to the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). Comments received by 12:00 p.m. on the day of the hearing will be provided to the BZA in advance of the public hearing by the BZA Coordinator.
To request translation services or reasonable accommodations, or for other questions, contact the BZA Coordinator, Stephen Risse: email@example.com ; 703-228-3562.
The BZA is a quasi-judicial body consisting of 5 members appointed by the Circuit Court for staggered terms of 5 years. All members of the BZA are private citizens and must be residents of Arlington County. Board members are not County employees and are not available to discuss matters that come before them with the public outside of their regularly scheduled BZA meetings.
|BZA Member||Term End Date|
|Judy Freshman,||March 7, 2023|
|Paul Melnick,||March 7, 2022|
|Inta Malis, Chair||March 7, 2024|
|Portia Clark,||March 7, 2025|
|Peter Owen, Vice Chair||March 7, 2021|