The Arlington County Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) has powers, duties, and procedures as set forth in broad terms in the Code of Virginia and in the Arlington County Zoning Ordinance, including:
- Hearing and deciding upon applications for Use Permits for modifications to the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance regulating the placement of buildings and structures on single-family residential lots
- Hearing and deciding upon applications for Variances for relief from the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance regulating placement, bulk, height, and coverage of buildings and structures
- Hearing and deciding on applications to allow construction on lots which do not conform to the minimum required dimensional standards of the Zoning Ordinance
- Hearing and deciding appeals of administrative decisions of the Zoning Administrator made pursuant to the Zoning Ordinance
Information about applications, submission requirements, and review processes are available:
Public Hearings and Filing Dates
The BZA holds monthly public hearings to perform its appointed duties and conduct any other business as necessary. Any matter before the BZA for review must be duly advertised in accordance with the Code of Virginia. All application materials must be accepted as complete, with all associated fees paid, at least two months prior to the specific BZA hearing at which an applicant wishes to be heard. Any incomplete applications (including those with an outstanding fee) will be processed for the next available BZA hearing.
Staff highly recommends that all applicants (especially those that have questions about their application, and/or those that have not previously submitted a BZA application) contact the BZA Coordinator to set up a pre-application meeting to discuss their request prior to submitting their application.
2021 Hearing Dates and application material – Links to available application material for individual cases is available through the link to the meeting’s agenda.
January 13, 2021 – This was a virtual public meeting held through electronic communication means.
February 10, 2021 – This was a virtual public meeting held through electronic communication means.
February 24, 2021– This was a virtual public meeting held through electronic communication means.
March 10, 2021 – This was a virtual public meeting held through electronic communication means.
April 14, 2021 – This was a virtual public meeting held through electronic communication means.
May 12, 2021
June 16, 2021
July 14, 2021
No BZA meeting in August
September- Meeting date not yet determined
October 13, 2021
November 10, 2021
December 8, 2021
How to View and Participate in a Virtual BZA Hearing
At this time, all BZA public hearings are held through electronic communication means in compliance with the Code of Virginia and Arlington County’s Continuity of Operations Ordinance. Meetings are open to virtual attendance by the public and closed to in-person attendance.
- Board members, staff, applicants, and public testimony will be hosted by teleconference/ videoconference via Microsoft Teams. Participants will receive an email with further instruction.
- A recording of the meeting will be posted to the County website within two business days after the meeting.
The public can participate by sharing live verbal testimony or written comments in advance:
- Sign-up online to speak during the public hearing by 12:00 p.m. on the day of the hearing.
- In-person registration will not be available.
- Registered speakers will receive an email with further instruction.
- Speakers will join the meeting via Microsoft Teams (accessible through a web browser or the free app) or via a phone line to provide their comments.
- To register by phone, contact the Board of Zoning Appeals Coordinator at 703-228-3562 by 12:00 p.m. the day of the hearing.
- Submit written comments online to the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). Comments received by 12:00 p.m. on the day of the hearing will be provided to the BZA in advance of the public hearing by the BZA Coordinator.
The BZA is a quasi-judicial body consisting of 5 members appointed by the Circuit Court for staggered terms of 5 years. All members of the BZA are private citizens and must be residents of Arlington County. Board members are not County employees and are not available to discuss matters that come before them with the public outside of their regularly scheduled BZA meetings.
|BZA Member||Term End Date|
|Paul Melnick||March 7, 2022|
|Judy Freshman||March 7, 2023|
|Inta Malis, Chair||March 7, 2024|
|Portia Clark||March 7, 2025|
|Lyndsey Arthurs||March 7, 2026|