Adopted March 5, 2012
The Arlington County Bicycle Advisory Committee (BAC) will be established and its members appointed by the County Manager.
The BAC, with roots in the community, helps focus continuing attention and resources on the role of bicycles and bicycling for transportation, health, and the enjoyment of parks and other public facilities in Arlington County, a national leader in urban planning and livable community design.
The BAC will advise the County Manager on issues that affect cycling in Arlington County, including, but not limited to: safety, education, community involvement, awareness and promotion, and the development, operation and maintenance of on- and off-street bicycle transportation and recreation facilities.
The committee will:
- Advise the County Manager on implementation of the bicycle element of the Master Transportation Plan.
- Advise on proposed Department of Environmental Services (DES) capital programming activities.
- Advise on encouragement, education and enforcement activities in the County.
- Provide a forum for citizens to comment to the County on the state of cycling locally and regionally.
- Advise the County Manager on issues related to the current and future bicycle network, traffic safety, and innovative or best practices.
- Establish and maintain communication with similar advisory committees in adjoining jurisdictions to support the enhancement of bicycle networks regionally.
- Interact with local and regional law enforcement, other governmental agencies, and advocacy organizations as they relate to bicycle and pedestrian safety and on- and off-road bicycle network developments.
Membership Qualifications & Duties
BAC members will reside or be employed in Arlington County. They will be expected to have a general knowledge of or professional interest in cycling issues and best practices. Ideally, the membership should reflect the diversity of Arlington cyclists and include representatives of the following organizations or interest groups:
- Transportation Commission
- Planning Commission
- Homeowners and apartment dwellers
- Business improvement districts
- Arlington Public Schools or PTAs
- Washington Area Bicyclist Association
- Other regional bicycling clubs
- Local bicycle shops
The BAC’s chair and vice-chair will be responsible for developing meeting agendas, running public meetings, administering any online committee presence, and facilitating votes and any official correspondence.
Appointments & Duration
The BAC will comprise a minimum of 15 members formally appointed by the County Manager. Each member will serve renewable two-year terms. The BAC will present a slate of proposed members for the County Manager’s approval prior to the start of each calendar year. The County Manager retains the right to select members as needed to ensure the committee reflects the demographic and geographic diversity of Arlington as a whole. The chair may nominate additional members for County Manager approval when useful and appropriate.
The BAC will select its chair and vice-chair for terms of up to two years duration. Other topic-specific officers will be assigned as needed.
The BAC is expected to convene a public meeting at least every other month, but might choose to meet more often. A full calendar year of meetings should be set up in advance and posted to a publicly accessible forum or forums. To help engage those not naturally inclined to attend public meetings, the BAC should develop an online presence using Google Groups, BikeArlington.com or other social media tools appropriate to their mission.
An employee of the DES Transportation Planning Bureau will be assigned the task of staff coordinator and committee liaison. Other County staff will be called upon for support as needed.
The committee will compile a summary of the proceedings of each public meeting for the benefit of its members and for the County Manager’s review. The committee will make that summary available to the public within two weeks, and may compile the year’s meeting summaries and committee accomplishments in the form of an annual report.