Audit Committee Overview
The Audit Committee was established by the County Board to provide advice to the Board regarding the exposure of Arlington County government to risk, such as financial, operational, and reputational risks. To accomplish this purpose, the Audit Committee has tasks enumerated in the County Board Charge, as updated on June 20, 2017. These tasks include:
- Reviewing and advising the County Auditor regarding the draft audit schedule (list of proposed performance audits) and overall draft audit work plan;
- Receiving final audit reports from the County Auditor and reviewing the results with the County Auditor;
- Receiving and reviewing the County Auditor’s periodic reports on follow-up regarding audit recommendations and corrective action taken by management;
- Consulting with County Manager on funds proposed for consideration by the County Board to carry out the County Auditor’s annual audit work plan;
- Determining, jointly with the County Auditor, the nonpartisan objective group to provide peer review of the County Auditor and staff;
- Receiving an annual report from the external auditor on the results of the County’s annual financial audit;
- Receiving an annual update regarding the results of the County’s internal audit work, conducted by the Department of Management and Finance internal audit function.
See the Audit Committee’s composition and tasks in full in the County Board Charge (pages 6-7).
Audit Committee Members
The Audit Committee is composed of: two Arlington County Board members; three citizen members, including a representative from the Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee (FAAC); the County Manager; and the Director of the Department of Management and Finance (DMF).
- Christian Dorsey, Arlington County Board Member, Audit Committee co-chair
- Takis Karantonis, Arlington County Board Member, Audit Committee co-chair
- Mark Schwartz, County Manager
- Maria Meredith, Director, DMF
- Brian Sigritz, FAAC Representative
- Harold Steinberg, Citizen Member
- John Vihstadt, Citizen Member
2021 Meetings and Materials
Meeting Schedule: The Audit Committee meets at least four times per year and Audit Committee meetings are open to the public. Meetings are held in the Ellen Bozman Government Center Building (2100 Clarendon Blvd) unless otherwise noted.
|Date||Agenda||Meeting Documents||Approved Meeting Minutes|
|1/28/2021||Agenda 1-28-21||Meeting Materials – 1-28-21|
Meetings and Materials – 2020 and earlier
- View Meetings and Materials
Date Agenda Meeting Documents Approved Meeting Minutes 1/30/2020 Agenda 1-30-20 DRAFT 8-1-19 Meeting Minutes FINAL 1-30-2020 Audit Committee Meeting Minutes Date Agenda Meeting Documents Approved Meeting Minutes 4/1/2019 Agenda 4-1-19 Audit Committee Meeting Package 4-1-2019 FINAL 4-1-19 Audit Committee meeting minutes 6/3/2019 Agenda 6-3-19 Audit Committee Meeting Package 6-3-2019 FINAL 6-3-19 Audit Committee meeting minutes 8/1/2019 Agenda 8-1-19 Audit Committee Meeting Package 8-1-2019 (Updated as of 7/31/19) FINAL 8-1-2019 Audit Committee meeting minutes Date Agenda Meeting Documents Approved Meeting Minutes 3/22/2018 Agenda 3-22-18 Audit Committee Meeting Package 3-22-18 FINAL 3-22-18 Audit Committee meeting minutes 5/18/2018 Agenda 5-18-18 Audit Committee Meeting Package 5-18-18 FINAL 5-18-18 Audit Committee meeting minutes 8/7/2018 (Joint Meeting with APS Audit Committee(CANCELLED) Agenda 8-7-18 9/27/2018 Agenda 9-27-18 Audit Committee Meeting Package 9-27-18 FINAL 9-27-18 Audit Committee meeting minutes 11/20/2018 (Meeting with APS Audit Committee) Agenda 11-20-18 Audit Committee Meeting Package — Use Permits and Audit Functions 11-20-18 FINAL 11-20-18 Audit Committee Meeting Minutes 12/19/2018 Agenda 12-19-18 Audit Committee Meeting Package 12-19-18 FINAL 12-19-18 Audit Committee meeting minutes