Audit Committee has been established by the County Board to provide advice to the Board regarding the exposure of Arlington County government to risk, such as financial, operational, and reputational risks. To accomplish this purpose, the Audit Committee has tasks enumerated in the County Board Charge, as updated on June 20, 2017. These tasks include:
- Reviewing and advising the County Auditor regarding the draft audit schedule (list of proposed performance audits) and overall draft audit work plan;
- Receiving final audit reports from the County Auditor and reviewing the results with the County Auditor;
- Receiving and reviewing the County Auditor’s periodic reports on follow-up regarding audit recommendations and corrective action taken by management;
- Consulting with County Manager on funds proposed for consideration by the County Board to carry out the County Auditor’s annual audit work plan;
- Determining, jointly with the County Auditor, the nonpartisan objective group to provide peer review of the County Auditor and staff;
- Receiving an annual report from the external auditor on the results of the County’s annual financial audit;
- Receiving an annual update regarding the results of the County’s internal audit work, conducted by the Department of Management and Finance internal audit function.
See the Audit Committee’s composition and tasks in full in the County Board Charge (pages 6-7).
Audit Committee Members
The Audit Committee is composed of: two Arlington County Board members; three citizen members, including a representative from the Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee (FAAC); the County Manager; and the Director of the Department of Management and Finance (DMF).
- Erik Gutshall, Arlington County Board Member, Audit Committee co-chair
- John Vihstadt, Arlington County Board Member, Audit Committee co-chair
- Mark Schwartz, County Manager
- Stephen Agostini, Director, DMF
- Tenley Peterson, FAAC Representative
- Harold Steinberg, Citizen Member
- Nancy Tate, Citizen Member
2018 Meetings and Materials
Meeting Schedule: The Audit Committee meets at least four times per year and Audit Committee meetings are open to the public. Meetings are held in the Courthouse Plaza Building (2100 Clarendon Blvd).
Future 2018 meeting dates have been scheduled but are subject to change; please check back as the dates become closer. The agenda and meeting documents are posted no later than three business days before the meeting.
|Date||Agenda||Meeting Documents||Approved Meeting Minutes|
|3/22/2018||Agenda 3-22-18||Audit Committee Meeting Package 3-22-18||FINAL 3-22-18 Audit Committee meeting minutes|
|5/18/2018||Agenda 5-18-18||Audit Committee Meeting Package 5-18-18||FINAL 5-18-18 Audit Committee meeting minutes|
|9/27/2018||Agenda 9-27-18||Audit Committee Meeting Package 9-27-18|
|11/20/2018 (Joint Meeting with APS Audit Committee)|
Past Meetings and Materials