About Advisory Groups
Some 50 standing advisory groups provide input to the Arlington County Board on a variety of issues. From time to time, the Board also creates ad hoc committees and task forces for limited terms to focus on projects of immediate concern. At every January Organizational meeting, the Board designates a County Board liaison to each commission.
A number of groups also provide guidance to the County Manager on specific topics. Every meeting of each County advisory group is open to the public.
Arlington County government relies on the hard work of its many civic-minded volunteer commissioners to help it make decisions that benefit our community. We thank each commissioner for his or her service, and we invite you to apply for appointment to a commission.
Appointments to Advisory Groups
- The County Board seeks to reflect Arlington’s diversity by fully partnering with all segments of the community.
- The Board makes appointments for specific terms. Terms are staggered so that vacancies occur on a periodic basis.
- Generally, advisory group appointments are limited to residents of Arlington County, although there are some exceptions.
- Some groups may require special appointment qualifications as mandated by the Virginia or County Codes (e.g., particular expertise in the subject area.)
Want to get involved?
Groups & Commissions
Membership in all of these groups is voluntary.
- Alexandria/Arlington Regional Workforce Council
- Arlington Commission for the Arts
- Audit Committee
- Bicycle Advisory Committee *
- Bicycle Element Working Group*
- Blue Ribbon Panel
- Board of Equalization of Real Estate Assessments
- Board of Building Code Appeals
- Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) **
- Chesapeake Bay Ordinance Review Committee (CBORC) *
- Child Care Initiative (CCI)
- Citizens Advisory Commission on Housing
- Civil Service Commission
- Commission on Aging
- Commission on the Status of Women
- Community Development Citizens Advisory Committee
- Community Facilities Study Committee
- Community Housing Finance Corporation Board
- Community Services Board (CSB)
- Crystal City Citizen Review Council
- Design Review Committee (DRC)
- Disability Advisory Commission
- Economic Development Commission
- Emergency Preparedness Advisory Commission
- Environment and Energy Conservation Commission (E2C2)
- Fire Prevention Code Board of Appeals
- Fire Trial Board
- Fiscal Affairs Advisory Commission (FAAC)
- Form Based Codes Advisory Working Group*
- George Mason University Arlington Campus Advisory Board
- Historical Affairs and Landmark Review Board (HALRB)
- Human Rights Commission
- Industrial Development Authority
- Information Technology Advisory Commission (ITAC)
- Joint Facilities Advisory Commission (JFAC)
- Long Range Planning Committee (LRPC)
- Military and Veterans Affairs Committee* (MVAC)
- Natural Resources Joint Advisory Group (NRJAG)
- Neighborhood Complete Streets Commission (NCSC)
- Neighborhood Conservation Advisory Committee (NCAC)
- Open Data Advisory Group (ODAG)*
- Out-of-School-Time Advisory Council
- Park and Recreation Commission
- Partnership for Children, Youth and Families
- Pedestrian Advisory Committee *
- Planning Commission
- Police Contract Towing, Advisory Board
- Police Trial Board
- Public Facilities Review Committee
- Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC)
- Real Estate Tax Relief Working Group*
- Residential Parking Working Group
- Sports Commission
- Tenant-Landlord Commission
- Transit Advisory Committee *
- Transportation Commission
- Trespass Towing Advisory Board
- Urban Forestry Commission
- Volunteer Arlington Advisory Task Force
- Western Rosslyn Area Planning Study Working Group (WRAPS)
- World War I Commemoration Task Force
- Zoning Committee (ZOCO)
* Membership is appointed by the County Manager (vs. County Board).
** The Board of Zoning Appeals is appointed by the Arlington County Circuit Court.