The County Board has established about 50 standing advisory groups to increase community input and focus on specific community needs and problems. It also creates ad hoc committees and task forces for limited terms to focus on projects of immediate concern. At every January 1 Organizational meeting the Board designates a County Board Liaisons to each Commission.
In addition to the advisory groups that advise the Board, a number of groups also provide guidance to the County Manager on specific topics.
Appointments to Advisory Groups
- The County Board seeks to reflect Arlington’s diversity by fully partnering with all segments of the community with the government.
- The Board appoints citizens for specific term lengths. Terms are staggered so that vacancies occur on a periodic basis.
- Generally, advisory group appointments are limited to citizens maintaining residences within Arlington County.
- Some groups may require special appointment qualifications as mandated by the Virginia or County Codes (e.g., particular expertise in the subject area.)
Interested in Getting Involved?
Groups & Commissions
Membership in all of these groups is voluntary.
- Alexandria/Arlington Regional Workforce Council
- Arlington Commission for the Arts
- Audit Committee
- Bicycle Advisory Committee *
- Bicycle Element Working Group*
- Blue Ribbon Panel
- Board of Equalization of Real Estate Assessments
- Board of Building Code Appeals
- Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) **
- Chesapeake Bay Ordinance Review Committee (CBORC) *
- Child Care Initiative (CCI)
- Citizens Advisory Commission on Housing
- Civil Service Commission
- Commission on Aging
- Commission on the Status of Women
- Community Development Citizens Advisory Committee
- Community Facilities Study Committee
- Community Housing Finance Corporation Board
- Community Services Board (CSB)
- Crystal City Citizen Review Council
- Design Review Committee (DRC)
- Disability Advisory Commission
- Economic Development Commission
- Emergency Preparedness Advisory Commission
- Environment and Energy Conservation Commission (E2C2)
- Fire Prevention Code Board of Appeals
- Fire Trial Board
- Fiscal Affairs Advisory Commission (FAAC)
- Form Based Codes Advisory Working Group*
- George Mason University Arlington Campus Advisory Board
- Historical Affairs and Landmark Review Board (HALRB)
- Human Rights Commission
- Industrial Development Authority
- Information Technology Advisory Commission (ITAC)
- Joint Facilities Advisory Commission (JFAC)
- Long Range Planning Committee (LRPC)
- Military and Veterans Affairs Committee* (MVAC)
- Natural Resources Joint Advisory Group (NRJAG)
- Neighborhood Complete Streets Commission (NCSC)
- Neighborhood Conservation Advisory Committee (NCAC)
- Open Data Advisory Group (ODAG)*
- Out-of-School-Time Advisory Council
- Park and Recreation Commission
- Partnership for Children, Youth and Families
- Pedestrian Advisory Committee *
- Planning Commission
- Police Contract Towing, Advisory Board
- Police Trial Board
- Public Facilities Review Committee
- Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC)
- Real Estate Tax Relief Working Group*
- Residential Parking Working Group
- Sports Commission
- Tenant-Landlord Commission
- Transit Advisory Committee *
- Transportation Commission
- Trespass Towing Advisory Board
- Urban Forestry Commission
- Volunteer Arlington Advisory Task Force
- Western Rosslyn Area Planning Study Working Group (WRAPS)
- World War I Commemoration Task Force
- Zoning Committee (ZOCO)
* Membership is appointed by the County Manager (vs. County Board).
** The Board of Zoning Appeals is appointed by the Arlington County Circuit Court.